Homemade infused vodka

Today I’m making homemade infused vodka. I came up with this idea a while back and decided today’s the day to try it out. I’m making three flavors: blueberry, coffee, and vanilla. I used frozen blueberries (I would have preferred fresh, but fresh blueberries are hard to come by in December), vanilla beans, a handful of dark Columbian coffee beans, and a bottle and a half of Stoli. The ingredients went into three mason jars that were then filled with vodka, and then put in the back of the refrigerator where they’ll sit for a couple weeks. I really hope this turns out ok because I’d hate to waste all that vodka. If these turn out well, I’m going to try making mint in the next batch.

The ingredients, ready to go

The ingredients, ready to go.

From left to right: blueberry, coffee, vanilla.

From left to right: blueberry, coffee, vanilla.

I think I’m going to break these out for my X-mas party, which is going to be on Christmas Eve this year because too many people complained about having to work the morning of the 26th last year.

Update

The finished product:
The finished vodka

I’ve posted the results before tasting and after.

Update

I’ve got more homemade infusion articles over at my cocktail site, Cocktailia. Take a look!

Comments

talaitha says:

I think that is an absolutely kickarse idea.
You are such a little martha stuart! What with the ice cream making, and now flavouring your vodka!

kscaldef says:

Why the fridge? It might not make any difference, but I expect to get better/quicker extraction at room temp. When we made pepper vodka, we always left the stuff at room temp.

No reason in particular. It was originally recommended that I put them in the freezer, but I couldn’t think of any good reason for needing to do that, so the fridge is a compromise between that and just leaving them out.

How long did you let your pepper vodka soak?

goffchick says:

My mother does something similar with coffee. I think she leaves them out instead of in the fridge- but I also think she leaves them for at least a month. I should find out the process when I get home, I’ve been wanting to try some other flavours.

Find out and let me know. I’m just kinda making this up as I go along, so I’ll welcome suggestions from people who have done it before.

kscaldef says:

I never take the peppers out. However, I think it achieves complete extraction in about 2 months. Other substances are probably different, though. Taste it and see :-)

We make a pretty fierce pepper vodka – about 10 habaneros in a 750ml bottle. I’ve also got a jalapeno vodka that’s not as much of a life-changing experience.

I don’t think I can wait two months. I’ll try it before Christmas and see how it’s going. I’m kinda expecting to make two or three batches before I perfect the process. That’s why I’m using the mason jars… I wanted to get a few different flavors for my money rather than just doing one flavor per full bottle.

I’ve actually never tried pepper vodka. I can’t imagine how I would drink it, not being a Bloody Mary fan. Ten habaneros though… That sounds pretty impressive.

YNutt says:

How did the vodkas come out?

Good question. I’ve updated this post with a picture and links to the follow-ups.

david regnier says:

Can you give me the recipe for making these types of Vodka without a distiller machine. I go to college and am low on money but i have good resources for fruit.

Easy: Buy bottle of vodka, pour into a jar, add fruit, let sit for a couple weeks. I didn’t make my own vodka, I just flavored a couple bottles of Stoli.